back working on the bathroom makeover this week. This project was equal parts fun and frustrating. Fun, because the creative possibilities of working with galvanized pipes and fittings is endless. Frustrating, because without a clearly defined plan, it took a lot of time and trips back and forth to the hardware store. It reminded me of the days before I learned how to use Sketchup. Half of my shop time was spent working in trial and error.
I’m pretty good at using Sketchup when it comes to squares and rectangles, what most woodworking projects are made of, but I am unable to design using pipes! Might be a good skill to learn.
I began at the hardware store, laying out plumbing pieces on the floor and getting inquisitive looks from other customers! It was a good start and gave me an idea of a design I liked. I knew I would end up having to return for more parts as I got to actual assembly though.
Once back in my shop, I began a long period of experimenting with various layouts. Galvanized plumbing fixtures screw together easily.
One problem I didn’t think about was how to connect pieces that are “trapped” between two other assemblies. In other words, to tighten one end would loosen the opposite end!
On my second trip to the hardware store, I discovered a fitting just for this problem. It’s called a union and has two ends that rotate independently of each other.
I cut two walnut boards to size, careful measured and drilled holes in each end.
After cleaning all the oil and grease off the pipes, I spray painted them silver. Then I spray lacquered the boards.
I reassembled the rack, trapping the shelves between fittings.
And finally, I hung it on the wall using toggle bolts.