I’m back working on our craft room makeover again this week. The large cabinet I previously made is used mostly for storing fabric and other bulky items. Storing small items is difficult in deep drawers: the thing you are searching for is often at the bottom, buried under a pile of other stuff.
I designed this cabinet to have shallow drawers for storing mostly sewing supplies. Buttons and needles and such. The top is hinged and will store spools of thread. (I’ll let you know when I design a system for that.) The whole cabinet is on casters so it can be moved to where it’s needed and put back against the wall when not in use. It tucks neatly alongside the large base cabinets.
Building the frames
I designed this cabinet to be made mostly with inexpensive 1 1/2″ (38mm) wide pine furring strips. To make the frames, I used my Kreg Jig and joined the parts together with pocket screws.
The front frame has horizontal dividers that will separate the drawers. To line these up and space them equally, I used a scrap board as a spacer.
With the four frames made, I joined them together with glue and brads.
I glued and tacked in plywood boards for the three sides and the bottom.
I used hardboard (Masonite) for the drawer bottoms. The drop into rabbets and are glued and tacked into place.
I found the centers of the drawers and the drawer faces, drilled holes and temporarily attached the knobs. I removed them to make applying finish easier.
Final assemblies and finish
The lid (or top if you prefer a fifth drawer) is a plywood board with strips glued to all four edges.
This board drops in for the inside shelf.
Adding the casters
I tried something different on this cabinet: an Antiquing Wax. I used a clear wax as a top coat for the large cabinet and liked how it looks, so decided to give this colored wax a try. I am really impressed! It’s kind of like applying stain, but much easier and quicker. Just brush it on and wipe off the excess. After 24 hours you can buff it to any sheen you like. It applies right to bare wood and requires no additional top coats.
After positioning the drawer faces, I drove a couple of screws to hold them in place.
Attaching the hinges:
And the locking arm hardware. This prevents the lid from opening too far and breaking off the hinges.
And this is the new home for the mobile cabinet:
- WWMM Mobile Storage Cabinet
- WWMM Mobile Storage Cabinet – METRIC
- Sketchup File
- Sketchup File -METRIC