I’ve been fussing with this project for a week now, trying to come up with a good way to pull it off and a design that was simple enough to actually make sense. Sadly, I had ignored the most crucial part — wood choice.
I began cutting wood yesterday. I wanted the game to be lightweight so I pulled out some quarter inch scrap plywood from my stock.
I was a bit worried that the plywood may not be able to withstand the boring of 42 holes. Well, it wasn’t. The top layer of veneer peeled off almost every hole. I thought I could correct the problem by sloshing on a bunch of wood filler into the torn areas. Damn. This is a lesson in doing things right the first time.
This morning I went over to the lumber yard and picked up a sheet of MDF. It cost $21, but I have tons left to use for future projects. It worked like a dream.
So woodworking purists, this project will make you cringe. It’s made completely with manufactured wood. Horrors.
I gotta tell you, I have become an MDF convert. Look, if you are building something utilitarian — something that you’ll slap a coat of paint on — go with MDF. Yeah, yeah, yeah…it ain’t exactly like making period furniture, but you’ll have fun in your shop.
Here’s my PDF template of the Connect 4 game if you’d like to try one out yourself.